If there is one thing I’ve learned recently, almost on accident, is that distractions are purely the death of all things good and forth-moving!
I’ve noticed that every complicated measure recently, has been almost always attributed to some form of distraction blind-siding my attention away from what I should’ve been focusing on. Anything from the smallest dime-sized distraction, to the monstrous ones that take me months to recognize and recover from. So much so, that I have now developed a point of action when it comes to winning the battle of being distracted.
…Here’s a High Level Overview:
- Be conscious of goals – being aware of my goals and strategies allow me to be conscious of anything that side-steps it’s progress.
- I’ve learned to Recognize distractions in 3 easy ways:Does it align with my goals, purpose and Identity? (Having a firm understanding of these three elements is crucial. If you realize you don’t have a clear understanding of these foundational truths, it may be time for some self-reflection.)
- Is this self-giving if you are a people pleaser? Or selfish in motive, if you are selfish-natured? (obviously this requires MAJOR vulnerability for honesty.)
- Does the end goal of this thought, act of service etc. limit my ability for moving forward? (This is a big one.)
- Hands up distractions; I’m arresting you! After you recognize something as a distraction – here’s the not-so-easy part – get rid of it! Evict it. Remove yourself from its destructive path. And quickly. This looks different depending on the scenario and may involve creative maneuvering, but your future-self will thank you for it later.
It in a Nutshell: As if guarding a newborn baby from a vicious attacker – guard your mind, will and emotions from distractions and it’s dangerous off-spring.
– Jae Teague
What distractions, whether small or large, cause you to get off course? I want to hear all about it!